Wednesday, June 8, 2011

NewsCentral

Today I finished my first week as a summer intern for NewsCentral.  Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking before I began.   Broadcasting is a completely new medium for me; I'd never taken a class that didn't have a print-based focus.  So, this week has been filled with tons of surprises, like new vocabulary and a contrasting writing style then what I'm used to.  I'd watch the nightly news and think "Ok, so what?  I want to work for a magazine not a news station."  But, after just three days, I'm already questioning which side of journalism I'd like to work for after graduation.  I absolutely love the hustle and bustle.  The uncertainty of where the day will take me is such an adrenalin rush.  Reporters mask how hard their jobs truly are; they not only appear on camera and write the daily script but they also film and edit their segment.  Whew-they sure do keep busy!  Sure, my first day was a little rough (but let's be honest getting used to a new job is always different), but I can't wait until next Monday to head back to the newsroom.


On a completely unrelated note, as I was flipping through the channels, I ran across the greatest new show on TLC...My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.  The dresses are bigger; the parties are wilder, and the accents are thick.  It sure does give Say Yes to the Dress a run for its money.  The British documentary series looks at the world of gypsies and Irish travelers today.  Airing on Fridays at 10pm, the show reveals a community of contrasts.  Its members live by centuries-old religious and cultural traditions, but they embrace the flashier side of celebrity and fashion-focused times in which makes up the 21st century.
Look at these dresses!  Pretty crazy huh?  Add in the hair extensions, ridiculous bows, and flashy jewelry, and it should come as no surprise is a mega success.

No comments:

Post a Comment