Monday, April 22, 2013

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day Y'all! 
So many pretty petals! 

Living in the heart of Chinatown, growing greenery may be a bit of a foreign concept, but I wanted to celebrate the day dedicated to daisies and dirt nonetheless.  So, this morning I made my way to the far Bronx for a trip to the New York Botanical Garden.

As soon as I walk through the garden gates, I was engulfed in a fragrant and visually stunning plethora of plants.  A photographers dream, cherry blossoms were in full bloom and a rainbow of orchids, daffodils, and tulips covered the grounds.  Spanning some 250 acres, it's also home to some of the world's leading plant laboratories.  So, I'd say that if you've got a green thumb (or wish you had one) definitely check out this borough treasure.
A Maconite at heart, these pink petals reminded me of our Cherry Blossom Festival. 

The grounds are glorious! 
But it's not just filled with flowers.  Trails run throughout the woods, offering visitors a look at the wilderness as well.   
And the iron work arches are something to stare at too.  

If you want to take home a piece of the garden for yourself,
check out their gift shop for buds of your own.  

I had to be in class at 2pm, so instead of paying $22 for their all access pass, I opted for their $5 grounds only package.  But, if you've got the time, I'd say pay the additional fee.  That way you'll be able to see their rock garden, deserts, rain forests, old mills, and bridges.

Usually, they're closed on Mondays and certain weekends for weddings, so check their website before planning your own trip.  And, be sure you wear comfy shoes for your own day in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment