Saturday, April 5, 2014

Yes, I have a Baby Face.


Yes, I have a baby face.  I've got chunky cheeks with big blue eyes, and I smile whenever there's a lull in conversation.  I've got curly blonde hair and a flock of freckles cover the bridge of my nose.  I get it, my features don't add up to make you think I'm 23.  But, constantly being confused for a new teenager gets old and fast.

When the waiter comes I automatically know to a take out my ID, even if they breeze through everybody else's drink orders without carding them.  But, this past week an age oaf happened at the library.  I was applying for a library card (student loans are taking over my life, and I'm much too poor to buy all The Strand's Staff Picks) when the librarian on duty asked me where my mom was. 

"Um, I guess at her house," I muttered. 

"Oh.  Then I can't give you a library card today," she said.  "You have to be 16 to apply for one, or have a parent's permission.  They have to cosign on your card before you can check out books." 

I stood there with my mouth open for a good ten seconds before applying an awkward fake laugh.  I try to explain that I'm actually 23, but the woman doesn't believe me.  Only when I pull out my driver’s license and point out my birth date does she relinquish her tight grip on the paperback bestseller.  She eventually apologizes for her error, and attempts to compliment me by calling me "cute."

If only I had a dime for every time someone said I'll appreciated my girlish looks when I get older, there'd be no reason to have a full-time job.

I get it.  I look like I belong with the teenagers, which can be especially confusing now that I teach 13 year olds.  But, when an older teacher approaches me, asking why my cell phone's not put up, all I want to say is "I'm not some inexperienced kid.  I'm actually 10 years older than these Middle Schoolers.  I'm a high school and college graduate with a full-time job.  I have my own place and pay my own bills just like you do."  

Obviously, there's been times when I've seriously resented my baby face.  But, there is one major upside to my fountain of youth face:  I can still get away with buying items of the kid's menu. 

But seriously, I'm starting to come to conclusion that this is just who I am, and you know what?  I'm happy with it, even if that means I'll never be called sultry or sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment