Sunday, May 11, 2014

20 Reasons Why My Mom's The Best

I know everyone thinks their mom's the best, especially on days like today.  But, mine really is.

Here's 20 reasons why I love her!

1) She's the most selfless person I know. Whether it be her time or money, she does whatever it takes to provide for her three kiddos.  She's the kind of Momma who'd literally cut off her own arm if we needed it.  
Whether it be Christmas circa 1996 or 2013, she's always been there for us!  
2) Whenever we go out for Mexican, she lets me decide whether we get cheese dip or guacamole. 

3) She believes in our talents. From the time I brought her my first bit of writing in 2nd Grade to now, she's always encouraged me to make a career out of what I love.  Unlike my brother and sister, I've never been one to master math.  She understands my analytical weaknesses and embraces my creative nature, buying me a stack of glue sticks when most kids would need a calculator during back to school shopping.

4) She knows our favorite cookies.  Taking a page from June Cleaver, whenever one of us comes home from college, she makes sure our favorite sweet treats are just coming out of the oven as we walk in the door.

5) She introduced me to Days of Our Lives.

6) She indulges our weird habits.  The three of us have this weird habit of randomly breaking out into song.  I think it has something to do with watching too many musicals at any early age, but anyways.  We'll be sitting at the table, someone will say a phrase which will in turn trigger our rendition of "Do You Want to Build A Snowman."  And the worst part about it…we all have horrible singing voices!

7) She prioritizes family dinners.

8) She taught me good morals. From the day I was born, she brought me up in a Christ-centered home and worked long hours to put me through the best schools around.

9) She understands how much I love my dog.  We're looking for places to spend our vacation, and she knows I'd be sad to leave Roo behind.  So, if they're not pet friendly, they've been marked off our list of possibilities.

10) She's honest.

11) She understands sometimes you just need to stay in your pajamas all day.  By no means am I insinuating that she's lazy; she just knows that after a busy week of work, spending a Saturday at home with fuzzy socks and an oversized t-shirt is the best medicine.

12) She loves her holidays.  Whether it be Christmas or Arbor Day, she has decorations for every occasion.  Even if it means creating holidays (like Spooky March), she loves when the whole family gets together for celebrations.

13) Using the clever phrase "Beauty is Pain," she fixed my hair for the first 11 years of my life…despite my morning screams. 

14) She is one tough cookie.  She's been put through the ringer, and all it seems to do is make her that much stronger.  She's a whiz at  keeping her cool, even when a tree falls on the house.

15) She's my best editor.  She's been forced to read every term paper I've ever turned in.  Kudos to her, especially, for proofing my 20 page piece on Female Genital Mutilation in African Housewives.

16) Except for my whole wearing leggings as pants thing, she never judges my outfit choices too sternly. 

17) She loves Disney.  Most kids have to beg their parents to take them to Disney World.  Not me.  We've been to the Most Magical Place on Earth more times than I can count, and I've got the pictures with Mickey to prove it.

18) She's the first person I call.  She's always there when I need her. Even if it is three o'clock in the morning, I know she'll be there to discuss the good, the bad, or the ugly.

19) She makes meatless chili.  Especially living in the South, I understand it's got to be difficult cooking for a vegetarian, yet she's very considerate in making sure I don't go hungry…even if that does mean I'm eating a plate of fries when we go to Five Guys.

20) She's the epitome of a fabulous Southern Woman.  She understands the importance of family and  isn't afraid to cook with butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment