Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas-Macon, GA Style

Mary Poppins was the First Ornament I hung this Year 
Before hitting the TSA State Football Championship, we bought our Christmas trees yesterday afternoon.  After much debate, the family decided on two plump, 8-footers as the base for our decorating.  And today, as we watched SEC football, we've spent quite  bit of time sifting through the ornaments, adorning their branches.  My stepdad, Bryan, just declared the toy room tree is finished, but our Disney tree (yes, my family has an entire tree dedicated strictly to Mickey and the gang) still needs some work.


Like most people, Christmas is by far my favorite time of the year.  I love the lights, the smells, the gift-giving, the songs, the movies, the decorations...basically anything related to the holidays is bound to make me smile.  But, it's those silly family traditions that really set December apart in my mind.  All five of us  pile into my mom's Ford Explorer and make a trip to the local Chick-fil-A to buy peppermint chocolate chip milkshakes.  The South's famous chicken joint decorates the drive thru line with hundreds of brilliant lights that sparkle in time with a selected radio station's Christmas music.  Each year, we catch ourselves pulling into a parking spot to sip our shake and watch the light show.

My little sister heads back to Gainesville tomorrow, and I leave for NYC the day after that.  Obviously, I'll be sad to leave my family, but the great news in we'll both be back December 17th.  Only one journalism piece, two papers, and one final stand between me and Christmas Break.  Let the countdown begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment