Friday, January 25, 2013

Trip to the MoMA

With my last few days before the start of my final college semester, I've been to both the Met and the MoMA.  So, I guess you can say it's been a week filled with priceless pieces.  Although I'd walked through the Met's antique rooms gallery more times than I can count, before yesterday, I'd never seen contemporary works like Edward Munch's "The Scream" or Andy Warhol's "Campbell's Soup Cans" in person.  Obviously, there's quite a few pieces there that I just don't understand.  Despite the  fancy frames, I'm not sure a white canvas with pencil scribbles deserves all the hype.  But, after just one trip to the MoMa, I think it's become a new favorite. 
Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Cans: Personally, I'm a tomato soup kind of gal.
The 32 cans were right in front of the museum's cafe; rather fitting I'd say. 
Sigmar Polke's Spiderman:  Basically, I loved this picture just because it reminded me of my little brother.  
Jackson Pollock's Number 1A, 1948:  Anytime you can see a Jackson Pollock painting it's a good day.  The quintessential abstract artist, his works may not be appreciated by my parents, but by far they're my favorites.  Plus, have you ever tried to make your own splatter painting?
 It's the most fun you'll have creating art! 
Edward Munch's The Scream:  I'm proud to say I resisted the urge to stand in front of the paining and make a similar face.  It was tempting though.  
Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night:  For years, a print of this painting hung in my high school art room.
So, it was certainly surreal seeing it in person. 
Siemens & Halske AG's Telephone:  A rotary telephone may not seem like it deserves a place it an art museum, but I was certainly glad to see it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment