Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games

As much as I absolutely love books, I'm not exactly the fastest reader.  I'm not one of these people who can just pick up a 400 page book and finish it within 24 hours.  But, there's a new trilogy that's made me do just that, The Hunger Games.  Written by Suzanne Collins, its genre is young adult fiction.  That's not usually my cup of tea, but its combination of nerve-racking tension, thrilling action, and engaging love story kept me up until the wee hours.  Seriously, I was surprised at how engrossing the plot was! 

The Hunger Games is set in a future, post-apocalyptic North America, known as Panem.  The country's been divided into thirteen districts, each controlled by an iron-fised Capitol.  After a rebellious war broke out, District 13 was wiped out, and the remaining twelve were left to the Capitol's mercy.  As a reminder of their power, once a year the Capitol selects a boy and girl from each the twelve districts  to fight to the death on live television.  Told from the point of view of sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, the real action begins with the selection ceremony.  When her younger sister is selected to attend the games, Katniss courageously volunteers to take her place.  

The Hunger Games is the first in the trilogy, and already I've started reading  the second book, Catching Fire.  I'm only 100 pages into it, but already I'm engrossed in the story line.  As for who would like this book...well if you ask me, any person who enjoys reading would love it.  Collins has made sure there's something for everyone.  

Also, the first movie of this action packed trilogy is set to be released on March 23, so get to reading! 

My Rating:  *****



No comments:

Post a Comment