Friday, April 6, 2012

A Day Filled with Firsts

It really has been a Good Friday.  My load at The Times was pretty light this morning; I just called in a few hair products and transcribed an interview with Kati Nescher.  So around 2pm, my boss told me to take the rest of the afternoon off. So I decided to use the time to explore places I've never been before.

I've been watching way to much Felicity.  The 90s primetime TV drama is my latest Netflix obsession.  Each episode keeps tempting me with Dean & Deluca treats.  That was my first stop.  Thankfully, there's one on the ground level of The Times building, so grabbing a piece of quiche wasn't too difficult.  I also picked up a red velvet cupcake figuring what the heck it's Friday and I got my paycheck last night.  Why not indulge in a $3 dessert?  (Note to future self:  Even though they're icing looks delicious, Dean & Deluca cupcakes aren't worth it.)

As much as I love books, in the three years that I've lived in the City, I've never visited the New York Public Library on 42nd and 5th. Located next to Bryant Park, I decided that had to be changed.  But, the beautiful weather and smell of freshly cut grass delayed my visit.  I found a green metal chair and read the latest book for my Japanese History Class in the park best known as the home for fashion week.
Yep; my toes are painted blue! 

Around 3:30, the people making out to my right got the better of me, so I said  hello to the lions and went inside.  I'm sure I'll probably be sure by book lovers around the globe, but in my opinion the library wasn't really all that special.  Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of titles (and they've even displayed lego lions), but I think NYU's Bobst has spoiled me too much.  Sure, the New York Public Library was featured in the Sex and the City movie.  But it only has 3 floors, and most of the rooms are reserved for staff only.  I guess I just had such high expectations for the library.  Oh well; that's my fault.  At least I can check it off my least now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment