Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hello Again Savannah

Yummy! 
When I think of the South, Savannah instantly comes to my mind.  I'm not sure if it's the moss hanging from the trees, the fact that it's mentioned in Margaret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind, or just because it's home to Paula Deen, but a visit to the Georgia Coastal City seems like the quintessential Southern experience.  Even though I only lived here for two months, Savannah and I have this weird connection.  Nothing can compete with roaming its streets on a warm May day.  So when my mom asked if I'd join her  on a business trip to my favorite city, how could I say no?

After checking into the hotel, Lady and Sons was our first stop.  We ogled over the menu but both ultimately decided to get the buffet.  As per usual, Paula didn't disappoint! I ate fried chicken, beef tips, mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese, hoe cakes, and peach cobbler for dessert.  Delicious!

Such a Beautiful Cathedral
And today, Momma's been working at the VC campus here, and I've just been getting utterly lost in Savannah with a cup of coffee in hand.  I had to go to the Lucas Theatre and peaked in at St. John the Baptist Cathedral.  It used to be our church, and I was baptized there ages ago.  I read my book in Lafayette Square, and window-shopped  around Bull Street.  Of course, there was the usual, annoying, tour bus folks, but not even their insistent asking if I'd mind taking a picture of them in front of a random fountain could get me down.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm out of school?  Maybe it's the weather?  Maybe it's just being back in the South?  But today was simply wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment