Monday, May 28, 2012

Might as Well Take Advantage of It

I've decided to make a pact with myself; if I'm going to be spending my last sumer free of any real responsibilities in New York City, I better take advantage of it.  School's out, so no more homework.  No longer will it be acceptable to spend my Sunday afternoon locked in my apartment watching Netflix.

My friend Claire told me about this awesome website theskint.com.  It lists the daily free or low cost activities going on around the City.  So, I looked there for suggestions on today's adventure.  A two o'clock showing of the 1937 classic Shall We Dance starring Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire was playing at the Lincoln Center Amphitheater.  Usually I would have just slowly eased into my morning, heading Uptown around 1pm.  But, new roommates were moving in, so I left Laf around 10:30.

Delicious! 
I know I've said this before, but I've lived here for three years and still think of myself as a tourist whenever going above 34th Street.  Usually it's just check out the random directions on hopstop.com and take the designated subway route.

But with hours to kill, today I decided to walk.  Art booths decorated University Place from 4th-14th Street, and the typical Veggie Market was going on in Union Square.  At 24th and 5th Avenue Madison Square Eats featured treats from 25 famous food tuck vendors.  It's going on for another week, so be sure to stop by.  I tried a Blueberry/Mint popsicle from People's Pop.  The $3.50 price tag was a little steep but definitely worth it.  Whole blueberries and mint leaves were in every bite...yummy!

As for the movie, there was no doubt in my mind I'd love it.  Sure, today's movies may have special features with 3D bonus features, but there's just something about watching an old classic.  The story lines are original, the acting's genuine, and the costumes are always gorgeous.  Surprising as it may be, I wasn't even the youngest person there.

After the credits started rolling, I had to race back to Lafayette and work a four hour shift in the Resource Center.  It's only redeeming quality was meeting some of the cute new boys who will be living in the building.  Once the final registration card was alphabetized, it was off to Pommes Frites on 7th and 2nd for a quick bite.  Their  Belgian fries are some of the best around, and the dipping sauce is delicious too!

So if you have a favorite place I should check out, please let me know.  I'm in need of a few new suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment