Monday, March 11, 2013

Seeing the Legend of Sleepy Hollow for Myself

Even the town's Fire Department celebrates
the Headless Horseman tradition. 

Even though I'm Georgia bound in less than a week, I woke up Saturday yearning for a City reprieve.  For just a few hours, I needed to see some trees and be absent of honking horns.  So, I headed to Grand Central and caught the first train to Sleepy Hollow. It turns out the town famous for its Headless Horseman is less than an hour away, and I figured its cemetery would be the perfect subject for my photo assignment of the week.

Talk about a taste of solitude! I was there for hours, and the number of people I saw could be counted on one hand. Really, the only company I had was my camera and a family of deer. Plus, the freshly fallen flurries added an extra eery quality to the tombstones.

In total, I took more than 500 photos, but thank goodness, here, I've narrowed it down to just my favorites.
Unfortunately, the bridge where Ichabod was unseated by a pumpkin doesn’t exist—-at least, not in its original form and location. Whatever simple wooden span crossed the Pocantico River in the late 1700’s has long since rotted away, but at least I got to see some version of the Headless Horseman's bridge in the Sleepy Hollow cemetery. 

I'm not  sure why, but of all the cross tombstones on display this one was my favorite. 
This might sound a bit odd, but the stained glass window featured in this photo is actually inside a mausoleum.
For a good 10 minutes, I snapped pictures it through the iron door's detailing.  
See, I wasn't kidding when I said it was just me and a family of deer. 
Doorknob details where another close-up feature that constantly kept be clicking.  
This angel just looked so serene. How could I not snap a photo? 
To plan your own trip to Sleepy Hollow click here.  It really is a great day trip destination!  But be warned only one train from the Phillipse Manor to Grand Central runs an hour.  Check the times beforehand, so your not stranded on the platform for 58 minutes--yes, I'm speaking from experience here!

No comments:

Post a Comment