Friday, March 22, 2013

Simply Southern

It's a bit blurry, but how could I not include this picture
of me and my Momma? We were being ladies who lunch! 
A Macon native, the Cherry Blossom Festival has been marked on my March calendar for as long as I can remember.  Over the years, I've been pictured with countless dyed poodles, eaten more fried fair food than ever necessary, wandered the streets of Downtown Macon searching for the prefect parade spot, and worn bubblegum pink for a week straight 22 times.  It's safe to say I've done more than just buy the Pinkest Party on Earth t-shirt; I've lived it.

But, before this year there was one Cherry Blossom tradition I'd never experienced...the annual fashion show.  Emceed by local celeb/crafting guru Mark Ballard, this year's theme was Beauty Blossoming:  A Spring Fashion Journey.  Dedicated in memory of Neva Langley Fickling, one of the creators of the Cherry Blossom Festival and Georgia's only Miss America, this year's show was extra special!  Six of her chic couture gowns were on display--including a cherry blossom embroidered day dress from her 1953 reign.

Modeling Maconites strutted their stuff in stylish ensembles, while the audience sipped pink champagne.  The catered brunch by Edgar's Bistro featured tea sandwiches, two types of salad and the most delicious sweet potato muffin I've ever had!  Of course, all the recipes were from the tastemaker's newest cookbook, Delicious.

Momma and I were right by the stage, so I took a few photos to capture the spirit behind this posh annual favorite.  Enjoy!
The beadwork on Neva's gown was absolutely gorgeous.  And her waistline, it was only 19 inches! 
Donning an extra sparkling pink suit, the festival's founder, Mrs. Carolyn Crayton, even made a special appearance.
Always exuding elegance, she gave quite the welcome! 
So many ladies loving the fashionable affair! 
Look at these fabulous centerpieces made by Mark Ballard!  Cutely crafted from pink paper,  here's the  link so you can  make your own. 
Although this year's event has come and gone, I'm already looking forward to next year's Cherry Blossom Fashion Show!  If you've never been, change that in 2014.  It's definitely a Simply Southern afternoon you won't want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment