Friday, March 9, 2012

Subways are Upping their Artwork


My dorm's in Chinatown; my school's near Washington Squre; my internship's on 42nd, and my job's in Brooklyn.  Needless to say, I spend a lot of time on the subway.  Usually, my ride between stations is reserved for fun reading; for those 30 minutes on the F Line I leave the school books in my bag and just relax.  Of course, there are some days when the crowded cars prevent me from escaping in the pages of my latest ficiton endeavor...and that's how I discovered Sophie Blackall. 

Each year the MTA turns subway stations into modern museums, showcasing pieces from up and coming artists.  The Brooklyn-based artist was commissioned to do a poster of subway riders for their annual Arts for Transit initiative.  Even though they're made up character, you'd certainly find Blackall's figures on a typical commute.  Plus, it's so bright and cheerful.  How can I not immediately smile whenever I find myself in a subway car with one of her creations?

Blackall is also gaining notoriety for her new book Missed Connections:  Love Lost & Found.  In it, she depicts real Craigslist "missed connections" from city dwellers searching for a mate.  One illustration features a couple wearing curious outfits.  The man is in a fury bear costume, and the women wears its head.  Its title:  "We shared a bear suit at an apartment party Saturday night."

 For more information about her amazing illustrations, be sure to check out her blog.


1 comment:

  1. OMG! Crazy I saw this drawing a few months ago when it appeared and yeah it's so adorable, took note of the artist, great to see you did too and wrote a blog!

    ReplyDelete