Thursday, June 7, 2012

Buy Me Some Peanuts and Cracker Jacks

Last night the Yankees took on the Tampa Bay Rays, and I'm excited to say I was one of the 38,370 people who attended.  No longer will my NYU graduation be the first time I see Yankee Stadium.  Nope; I've watched a game, eaten the ballpark food,  and ridden the 4 line all the way to 161st Street.  Basically, I'm a full-fledged New York baseball fan.

After stopping off at the 7-Eleven for a few slurpees, we took the longest subway ride of our lives.  For my friend, Susan, last night was her first MLB game, so we spent the 45 minutes going over key players.  "Jeter" was written on the back of her shirt, but the five-time World Series shortstop was a complete mystery.  The only baseball player she knew was Babe Ruth. And she admitted "that's only because he has a candy bar."

Despite her lack of sports knowledge, I think she'd agree nothing says summer like an evening at the ball park.  Sure, there's the game, but more importantly, it's the only place where it's socially acceptable to pay $5.75 for a box of Cracker Jacks.

New York took the opener 7-0 and didn't concede a run until the ninth inning.  The 31-24 New York Yankees went up 2-0 in the three-game series against the Rays winning 4-1.  "New York, New York" signaled the victory.  But after three hours, Susan and I were less interested in the game and more into finishing our cheese-drizzled garlic fries.  
It may not be the healthiest dinner, but there's no denying  they're good! 





No comments:

Post a Comment