Sunday, June 10, 2012

Egg Rolls and Egg Creams

You can see the dripping grease.
That can only mean one thing-it's good! 

Today's Sunday adventure was quite eggs-traordinary!  I was all set to spend the afternoon reading in the park when my roommate suggested we walk over to Eldridge between Division and Canal for the annual Egg Rolls and Egg Creams Festival.  The block party was a perfect cross-cultural celebration of the Lower East Side's Jewish and Chinese communities.  It featured Chinese opera, klezmer music, and lots of kitchy crafts for the kiddos.  

As with all NewYork City street fairs, lots of food was available.  The $5 combo included (what else) one egg roll and one egg cream, or both could be purchased separately for $3.  Despite the too-hot-weather, I was daring and tried the egg cream...bad idea.  The ice cream melted before I'd even brought the glass to my lips.  Instead of a refreshing, cool beverage, it was more like a lukewarm, soupy mess drizzled with chocolate. Chalk it up to experience.  
But, the real highlight for me was the beautiful, hard-core 
origami creations on display in the Museum at Eldridge Street.  

No comments:

Post a Comment