Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My New York: Harlem

Even Justin Bieber can be found in Harlem.
He Performed at The Apollo Theatre
on Monday Night.


I've said it before, and I'll say it again...New York above Lincoln Center is a total mystery to me.  I'd seen Harlem in movies, but before yesterday, I'd never actually ridden the subway all the way up there.  For NBC's Taxi TV there's a segment called "My New York" were noteworthy locals share their favorite neighborhood.  As I'm sure you've guessed, Harlem was the selected spot yesterday.

We started at Red Rooster between 125th and 126th on Lenox.  The decor is so quirky, and I hear the Sunday brunch is delicious.

Next, we went to the Studio Museum. They've just added the most amazing gallery.  In fact, just a few weeks ago one new painting whose main medium is glitter and high lighter pink paint made the cover of The New York Times style section.  So seeing it upclose (without actually having to pay the admission price) was great.

After a stop off at a local book store, we headed to El Augilia on 116th between 2nd and 3rd. According to our celebrity guide, this is Harlem's Mexican district. All the advertisements are in Spanish and the native flag hangs everywhere.  One elderly woman was making cakes on a griddle outside her storefront, and sidewalk markets were filled with exotic fruits.  But what would the district be without its taquerias?  We sampled chips sided with guacamole and the most delicious tacos too.


Delicious Lunch for Less Than $5! 
Sure, Harlem's a little bit of a hike, but it's certainly the place to visit if you're looking to try something of the beaten path.  Plus, Central Park isn't too far, so if you're craving green, you'd be able to make a day out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment