Monday, December 13, 2010

IHOP's got Nothing on Me

It's 9:30 on a Saturday morning.  As I sit in my kitchen trying to complete a last minute extra credit assignment while simultaneously making notecards for my ever-looming History of World War II final, my stomach begins to gurgle.  Immediately I head for the Pop-Tart box but sadly realize that I polished off the last delicious pasty the morning before on my way to a Stats recitation.  
A 1/2 empty box of pancake mix stares back at me.  When my parents came for a visit, I was spoiled with the fluffy goodness every morning.  However, I always just assumed making my favorite breakfast treat would pose to much of a challenge.  Nonetheless, my starving stomach decided the challenge had to be accepted.  
Ingredients:
-1 cup Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix
-Generous helping of Aunt Jemima Syrup
-3/4 cups of Water
-Pam Spray
-Green or Red Food Coloring (just for some holiday fun)
First, off the back of the Aunt Jemima mix says to use 2 cups of mix and 11/2 cups of water.  I was only making pancakes for one person, so I cut everything in half, only using 1 cup mix and 3/4 cups water.  
4 drops of Green Food Coloring 
 Add about 4 drops of green food coloring for some holiday spirit and stir for about a minute.  
As you let the batter stand, spray Pam in the skillet. 
Each pancake is about two spoonfuls of pancake mix.  Now, I have a gas stove so each side only takes about a minute before it begins to bubble,  indicating it's ready to be flipped.  So just judge accordingly on the timing-the bottoms should be golden brown.  
Carry out these directions 3 more times to finish off the batter, and voila.  You’ve made a delicious breakfast.  Make sure you place them on a super cute plate, and for extra holiday cheer fun feel free to add chocolate chips or Christmas sprinkles.  
Literally, things can’t be  simpler.  And, I’m very excited to say the fire alarm only went off once while making my pancakes.  After my roommate and I opened the window, the smoke cleared in no time.  What can I say? I never claimed to be Betty Crocker.    

The Finished Product 

No comments:

Post a Comment