Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day at the Office Followed by 20 Minute Cookies

Yesterday was my first full day (working from 9:30-6) as a Good Housekeeping intern.  After a subway ride on the R line, I was immediately whisked off to the archives room.  I'm really not exaggerating here; starring at 125 years of women's history was probably one of the most exciting moments of my life.  

Colorful covers dated back from the 1880's, and here it was my job to organize this room.  I know this sound ridiculously cheesy, but I really felt like I was taking a step back in time as I studied each cover.  A 1999 Kelly Ripa binding brought me back to the days of 3rd grade while a 2005 Sarah Jessica Parker number made me question the GH stylist on their hideous selection.  Because abundantly old issued were going in the trash, I was able to pocket a few of my favorites.  

At the end of the semester, I'll be writing a paper on how the images  of women have changed in the last 125 years to receive credit for my internship. And, I can't wait to once again slip on the required white gloves (which must always be worn when handling these priceless pieces) as I sift through evidence to support my arguments.

After my lunch in the Hearst cafe, I sifted through towers of mail. 

 Note to anyone reading this:  If you ever want to renew a subscription to GH, don't send your order form and check to the New York editorial office.  It's supposed to go to Iowa.  There's a business supply envelope in the magazine for a reason. 

After a trip to the freebies table, where I grabbed a cute cookbook called Weeknight Desserts, I bid the building adieu until Tuesday.  As I schlepped my 5 vintage GH magazines back on the R train, all I kept thinking about was how wonderful it will be once I get home.  A quiet night (free of roommates) was just what I needed after a long week in the City. 

WeekNightDessert_Cvr.jpgHere's a delicious and super easy recipe
 from my new sweet treat manual:
Flourless (and Quick) Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, stir together the PB, sugar and egg until they're well blended.  Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Flatten slightly with a fork dipped in water. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan. 

And there you go; in as little as 20 minutes, you have made about 15 cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment