Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Working For a Magazine...It's Just Like the Devil Wears Prada (Well Sorta)

300 West 57th Street...The Hearst Building...Probably the Most Intimidating Place Ever.

NYU is an expensive school; I'm not stating any groundbreaking find here. However, NYU has one of the top journalism schools in the country.  It's the whole reason why I'm willing to bury myself in debt, IOUs that even my great-grandchildren will be paying off.

 And yes, I'm completely aware this sounds super dorky, but the only publication I've ever really dreamed of working for is Good Housekeeping.  As a child, the monthly magazine was a constant staple on my mom's coffee table. I'm sure I was the only 8 year old clipping cheesecake recipes, oohing over Heloise's advice column, and tearing up after each Blessings story.

GoodHousekeepingJuly1967.JPG.jpgIn last semester's Foundations of Journalism class, our adjunct professor asked each student what their dream job would be. Of course, I said writing for Good Housekeeping. Even though it's only a quick subway ride on the R train,  I always thought the 28th floor of the Hearst building would be nothing more than a far off fantasy for this Georgia girl.  So, you can imagine my surprise when I received an email last December announcing the periodicals need for an editorial intern.  The only thing standing between me and my dream job was a cover letter, 3 clippings, and a revised resume. So I  clicked send and that was that.

Fast forward one week, and I'd be changing my Facebook Employee information to a Good Housekeeping Editorial Intern.  I kept pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. However, my nerves got the best of me.  I kept imagining my first day, and each day dream sequence ended in dread.  So when Tuesday, January 25th rolled around and my start date was officially upon me, I didn't really know what to expect.  I'd seen The Devil Wears Prada and Confessions of a Shopaholic.  I was just hoping my 1st day would be drama free.  

I'm here to say, it was absolutely terrific.  Rosemary Ellis, the editor-in-chief, said hello to me. I got to explore the test kitchen, look at old editions, fact-check, and drink free coffee. I even have my own desk and computer.  Plus, I get to wear ridiculously tall shoes and cute cardigan sweaters every day without feeling stupid. I'm even getting class credit.   Really, can life get any better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment