Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Visit to UGA-a College where School Colors are Actually Worn


Fraternity row, team colors students actually wear, and staying out until 3am-Sure, I've finished 3 semesters of NYU, but before Friday night, I'd never really had a true night of college experiences.  Even though the 5 boroughs boast over 100 universities, New York City, by no stretch of the imagine, could be labeled a college town.  I moved there at 18, and I really couldn't imagine spending my 4 college years anywhere else. But it's certainly not a town solely made up of 18-22 year olds.  So, it was certainly a culture shock when I spent an evening in Athens, GA.

Space Ghost is my friend's band.  I'd heard some snippets and read countless facebook messages praising them, but I wanted to hear them for myself. So, on Friday afternoon, I borrowed my sister's red VW Bug and made the two hour trek, and I must say, it was well worth my time.  Of course, they were amazing. But for me, it was the whole night of collegiate experiences that really made me wonder what life would be like if I wasn't a Fighting Violet.

After the show, we had 5 Guys at 2 in the morning.  Now, I'm probably the most un-collegey college student. I knit, I bake, and I enjoy 8am classes. So(unless I just happen to wake up in the middle of the night, roll over, and look at my alarm clock), 2am is not something I see quite often.  But it's weird,  for some reason, french fries and veggie burgers just somehow taste better.  And once I realized I was the only girl at a table of 5 straight guys my mind was really in a state of wonder.

So, I guess I can now check a few things off my college list-

  • go to a bar to hear you friend's band play...check
  • eat a meal at 2am...check
  • actually stay awake until 2am...check
  • spend the entire next day in bed because you didn't get any sleep the night before...check 


No comments:

Post a Comment