Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weepy Return to NYC

Yesterday was a very weepy day. I cried drinking coffee. I cried when my mom went to the bathroom. I cried because I was missing the Space Ghost concert. I cried unpacking my suitcase. I cried eating a bagel. And, I cried watching Fantasia. Basically, my tear ducts were on massive overload.

When I woke up yesterday morning, it hit me for the first time that I was leaving Macon, Georgia and wouldn't be returning for another 4 months.  I'll be missing my brother's Valentine's dance, my sister's prom, my 20th birthday family party, and countless other mini-milestones.  I just broke down and couldn't regain composure.

But this morning when I woke up in my extra long twin sized bed and looked down 23rd street, my melancholy mood seemed to vanish. I had to put my big girl panties, fix my own breakfast, and make my own decisions for the first time in 4 weeks. As I was walking to City Grace this morning, listening to my ipod on shuffle, I realized I wasn't so much mourning Macon but all that Macon stands for...comfort, childhood, parental pampering.  But, I'm almost 20 years old (only 10 more days-heck yes).  And, it's time to grow up.

For me, the Spring 2011 semester starts at 9:30 tomorrow morning. So, I had to visit the NYU bookstore this afternoon. After shelling out $305 for only 6 books, spending another $40 at K-Mart, followed by an additional $57 at Trader Joe's; my no-longer plushy bank account certainly resembles a college kid's.  Breakfast was a cup of coffee; lunch was a bagel from last night. Yep,  one thing's for certain...I'm back in the City.

No comments:

Post a Comment